Sunday, July 31, 2011

Coney Island Sliders (another word for burgers...just small but plump)

Up until recently I had no idea what "sliders" were.  And if you don't know either then don't feel bad.  I've come to find out its just like a hamburger pattie but smaller and thicker.  I wanted to try it out for myself.  I found a recipe to my liking and to my surprise I think this recipe is FAN-TASTE-IC!

 So juicy, so delicious, i easily gobbled up the whole hamburger, er...Slider.
 This recipe is barbeque-y and packed full of simple but great flavors.  I just wish I made fries to go with it.  But its so good it really is great all on its own.
nuff talk!  Try it, i can't imagine you not liking it. :o)

 Coney Island Sliders

 1/3 Cup brown sugar
 1 cup ketchup
 2 tsp chili powder
 1 medium white or yellow onion
 2 med. chili peppers or 1 Bell pepper (i used a 4 oz can green diced chilis)
 1 1/2 lbs 90% lean ground beef
 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
 12 whole wheat dinner rolls

- In a wide, shallow pot, combine 1/2 cup water, brown sugar, ketchup and chili powder.  Stir well and bring to a boil over med-high heat.  Reduce heat(on low) to a simmer and cover.
 -Meanwhile, thinly slice onion and peppers.  Salt and pepper beef and shape into 12 small balls, lightly press to form (thick) patties.
-Heat oil in lrg, non-stick skillet over med-high heat. ((Do NOT press down on burgers!)) Fry burgers until brown on each side, about a minute per side.(cause you'll cook it more later)
 -Remove burgers and set aside.  Add sliced onions and peppers into skillet and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
_add 1/2 cup water to skillet and stir and scrape up the brown bits of flavor.
-now combine onions into sauce pot, then add burgers and replace lid.  Simmer on low at least 20 minutes, up to an hour for best flavor. (you can toast your buns and set aside while you wait.)
-Serve onto buns with plenty of sauce mixture. Enjoy!

 Serves 6
 Approximate Serving size (two sliders): 560 cal, 16 g fat, 95 mg cholesterol, 44 g protein, 60 g carbs, 11 g fiber, 811 mg sodium (dependent upon how much salt you add to your patties), 26 % cal from fat.
 From: azcentral.com

1 comment:

Jenna said...

These look good, girl! I'm glad you liked my silly "This is my face" caption. ;) Thanks for your sympathy on the acne!

...

...